Thursday 20 September 2007

itchin'

Yup, that was me this afternoon! I have been itching to oxidise my own sterling silver for quite some time now and after doing a lot of research on Liver of Sulphur, oxidising with eggs etc ... I decided to try my hand at oxidising with BLEACH. And can I just say, I am more than delighted with the results!!! Here are the before and after pics of the earhooks and headpins I oxidised today:










Isn't that the most gorgeous shade of ash you've ever seen? I've also picked up an important point during this experiment and that is, if you clean and polish your silver before oxidising, the end result will be a more even and darker finish, the oxidising time is considerably lessened too!

I'm now extremely proud to show off my latest pair of earrings using the oxidised materials above!

13 comments:

MaryMarsh said...

Wow! Simply stunning! Love how you oxidized your own silver! Beautiful results! Gorgeous earrings! :)

E and E Bungalow said...

Cute earrings! I love the colors! And oxidizing silver is fun and truly brings out the gorgeous color! Great job!!

Feltland said...

Gorgeous !!! Love these tiny flowers - great earrings ... :D

Anonymous said...

These are really really lovely Mar - absolutely love the oxidised finish!

Nat
xx

Rebecca said...

Beautiful. I had no clue bleach would do that.

mettle design studio said...

great colour combo, marshah and I'm very impressed that you have done your own research on oxidizing!! love those earrings!

florspace said...

Those bluebells are lookin' gorgeous!

Feltland said...

Hi Marsha,
Hope you don't mind I added your blog link to my blogs' list. I love your jewellery and really appreciate visiting your blog - so you are at my "must visit links" ...

Bonny (Bonny Jewelry) said...

Very cool - love the oxidized look and I had no idea bleach could be used!

Sakura said...

Wow Marsha the oxidised silver looks amazing!! :O Fantastic as always :D

Anonymous said...

Marsh, I meant to comment aboutthis yesterday - so I will today - how great that you have learned how to oxidized - isn't it fun to always go one more step! Love your earrings. Fun to visit your blog!

Anonymous said...

make more more! would love to see them in your shop ;-)

Sewlutions' World said...

Those earrings are so sweet. It's wonderful that you are willing to try new things.